11.15.2010

Mysteries of the Rifle, Prologue

My family has a long history of being around firearms.  More specifically, rifles.  This comes from my paternal  ancestors settling in the Hill Country during the German Emigration in the mid-1840s and the need to place food on the table.  Although not quite as abundant back then as they are now, white-tailed deer were native to the land along with turkeys, small game, and other waterfowl.  Thus, in order to provide for the family, something had to be shot.  After all, cattle were worth way more for sale than for slaughter on their own table...

Well, technology evolved and it wasn't until after World War II that the surplus of powder, arms, and ammunition components made their way into the hands of the American public.  My grandfather took to this new realm of handloading for the various arms that the family had and new ones that were coming onto the market.  We have found records and several used targets dating back to mid 1950s with various notes about loads, rifles, and conditions.  Some of these are so worn and faded that the knowledge that was on them is lost.

I remember countless times spent with my grandfather helping him go through the handloading process, take the ammo out, and shoot as I was growing up.  My experience started off small of course; .22 LR (always factory ammo) and then gradually working my way up into the larger calibers with loads he had worked on for years.  Memories were made to the smell of Hoppe's No. 9 cleaning solvent, smokeless powder, and the sound of grains of powder being gingerly placed into the powder scale.  All this while looking around his trophy room lined with elk, caribou, a moose, bear skin, antelope, countless white-tailed deer antlers, and other game he had brought home from North American hunts.  Most of all I remember the stern and firm, but loving, way he instructed me on the proper way to handle and shoot a rifle while extolling the virtues of finding the "perfect" load for a given gun.  Time and care needed to be taken to figure out how to get the right combination for ammo, gun, and shooter.  That and a few bruises on the shoulder from loads that were a bit to powerful for a young'un...

Unfortunately my grandfather passed away a couple of years ago and MUCH of the knowledge he had was lost as to loads and rifles.  Some of this knowledge is written down in the form of odd notes in the resizer die boxes, scribbled on odd bits of paper, and always in pencil.  A few we know to stay away from because of the "HOT" or "TOO HOT" comments and appropriately marked out lines in the reloading manuals.  My dad was able to ask him about a few specific loads for his guns, but there are a few rifles that we have no idea what to do.  Some of the powders listed are no longer made, or are different formulations in some way, shape, and form.  This is where I am at now...my rifle, odd shooting characteristics, and trying to figure out what to do in order to shoot the most consistent and accurate loads possible.

So, I'm starting you on a new series or adventure as I take you on the journey to figure out how to have a rifle that is used for hunting of large game while also being able to handle smaller varmints as well.  Next up, where I have been so far on this track...

No comments: