9.02.2009

Interesting Find

I'm reading The Federalist right now. Why you ask? Well, if I am having a discussion about anything related to politics and the Constitution, I'd really like to read for myself what the founding fathers had to say as opposed to hearing some person or pundit give me their interpretation. It hasn't been an easy read so far; the beauty of the American English has sure fallen by the wayside since the 1770s...

Anyway, I came upon this interesting quote from Alexander Hamilton in Federalist No. 8:

"Safety from external danger, is the most powerful director of national conduct. Even the ardent love of liberty will, after a time, give way to its dictates. The violent destruction of life and property incident to war; the continual effort and alarm attendant on a state of continual danger, will compel nations the most attached to liberty, to resort for repose and security to institutions which have a tendency to destroy their civil and political rights. To be more safe, they, at length, become willing to run the risk of being less free."

Interesting read, especially in the world we live in today. Still have to finish No. 8 and Hamilton's thoughts but I thought I'd throw that out there before I forgot...

No comments: