7.08.2009

The Heat Is ON...

...and my electric bill will probably prove that this month. I had to run out and get some much needed items for the house (air filter, fluorescent bulbs, caulk, and spray-in gap filler) and get something to satisfy my craving for a carbonated beverage. Leaving Lowe's, I was suspicious about the thermometer in the pickup as it was reading 80 degrees.

At 2:30.

In the full sun.

In the middle of West Texas in the middle of summer.

Under the center of a high pressure ridge.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.........

My suspicions were proven right; water I sprayed in the engine compartment (to clean off dust from the haboob that blew through town) had likely pooled near the thermometer and evaporation was biasing the reading quite a bit. One this water was finally gone, the thermometer started to rise to 95 by the time I pulled into the first Sonic parking lot.

Yes, I said first Sonic parking lot. The one over by my office was packed and cars were lined up four deep waiting for spots to open. Saying no thank you, I jumped the curb into the alley (sorry for the tire marks on your lawn whomever mows the grass there) and headed over to the second Sonic further west.

The thermometer was still climbing....100 degrees.

This Sonic was also packed full; I didn't even bother turning into the lot because cars were lined up all the way out onto the street. Dang it! I was now REALLY craving a cherry limeade so I decided to burn some gas and go to the one Sonic I hoped wouldn't be chocked full of cars. Off to the edge of town it was!

Third time was the charm; I hit the Sonic sorta out on the southwest side of town and there were plenty of spots open. Yes, I know; patience would have allowed me to not drive literally halfway across town and save a gallon of gas. BUT, I had just spent an hour in the heat of my garage working on the pickup and house A/C and I wanted my sweet nectar of goodness known as a Sonic Cherry Limeade to quench my thirst and get my blood sugar levels back in check.

It was well worth it in my mind; I happily sipped away on the cool bliss of that Sonic drink all the way home and even now as I type this under the cool breeze of a ceiling fan and A/C that is sorta back in working order.

Oh, the thermometer peaked out at 104 degrees on the way home. Hot I tell you. HOT!

POST EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'm going to Colorado for family vacation in 10 days. This heat makes the wait for the coolness of fishing in the mountains tantamount to torture when I know that only an 8-hour drive and one week of work is all that stands between me and getting away from this heat...

2 comments:

Becca said...

I am hating the heat right now too! We go to New England in two weeks and it can't come quickly enough.

Leslie Clark said...

I just came back from Denver yesterday. Quite a shock it was, boarding a plain in 67 degrees, and deplaning in 102.