10.19.2007

A recommended form of transportation

As I mentioned in my previous post, I could have driven to K.C. which would have given me a vehicle to drive around in and enjoy the sights. However, my primary vehicle has seen it's better days and has a tad under 150k miles and my go-anywhere vehicle definitely ISN'T fun to drive on a 10-hour road trip. Because the place where I'm staying is within walking distance of the training location, the guv'ment doesn't authorize a rental vehicle meaning it comes out of my pocket. I wanted to have transportation to enjoy some of the good food and to get me back to IHOP on Sunday, so I decided to rent a car.

Also mentioned in my previous post was the fact that I arrived LATE Monday night (or was it EARLY Tuesday morning) thanks to flight delays. Once all the paperwork was filled out, I had to walk out in the middle of the night being very tired and select my car. Walking up to the first one I found, I looked it over, loaded up my luggage, and was off. It was a nice ride but I was ready to get to my room and hit the sack.

So, what did I end up getting you ask? Here it is:


In the gleaming sunlight the next morning on the way to training was a 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. Leather interior, Supercharged V-6 with traction control, XM radio, Sunroof, and digital information center. Did I mention supercharged V-6? Having driven SUVs of various sizes for the last 10 some-odd years, I had forgotten how much fun it is to be behind the wheel of a vehicle that has some actual getup-and-go when it is pedal-to-the-metal. Granted, the supercharged V-6 isn't as powerful as the V-8 Mustang Cobra I drove at the drag races (once) but it did bring back some fun memories. However, I also forgot how low to the ground these sporty cars are and I had to re-learn how to get out of a sports car...you can't just slide out of the Grand Prix like you can an SUV.

Unfortunately I will have to return the car in 4 more days so I won't be giving the rental car my arm and a leg. With that in mind, I'll definitely be taking the GP out for a leisurely drive tomorrow afternoon with the windows down and the sunroof open as I explore K.C. and it's suburbs. It will be nice knowing that I'll be able to get on the interstate with all the crazy drivers in KS/MO thanks to the getup and go the Grand Prix GT has.

If you are traveling and need a fun yet reasonable rental car, you can't go wrong with the Grand Prix! Just be sure to get the GT model...or better yet, the GXP!

No comments: