9.19.2007

K.C. Style B.B.Q.

Quick note before I head off to bed. I am officially not much of a fan of Kansas City style barbeque. For those who are "culinarily-challenged", KC-style is more of a tomato-based sauce (either from ketchup, tomato sauce, etc.) that is thick and sweet as compared to Texas-style which is also tomato-based but more tangy, saltier, and is much thinner (almost liquid), and lest I forget Memphis style which is usually pork (KC and Tejas both use beef...for good reason - it's better!) that typically cooked with a dry rub meaning no sauce at all or only after the cooking is done.

Well, I'm here in the heart of KC-style land, Kansas City itself, and after two BBQ places (one hole-in-the-wall, one chain) and I need my Texas-style BBQ. KC-style brisket is not smoked as much as Texas-style and is more of a roast which also lends to less flavor. Overall though, the sauce kills it for me. I'm not much for sweet sauces on beef and they try to add some smoke flavor into the sauce. The cuts of meat were also a bit smaller than the hefty portions you can get in Texas as well.

I don't want to get those who are on the level of The Food Network expertise mad...I'll reserve final judgment for a couple more BBQ restaurants on other trips as I might need to find that one magic spot that has the right combination of beef, flavor, and sauce.

P.S. Tonight was Irish pub night with Shepherd's Pie for dinner (Corned beef and Cabbage, and Fish and Chips were also had by friends from work), a frosty Fat Tire from the tap (they had Guinness on tap as well that came in Imperial Pint's), and Bread and Butter Pudding for dessert. Yeah...that bread and butter pudding was
O U T S T A N D I N G!

No comments: